Social media plays an important role in every student’s life. It is often easier and more convenient to access information, provide information and communicate via social media. Tutors and students can be connected to each other and can make good use of these platforms for the benefit of their learning and teaching.
Benefits and Challenges of Using Social Media in the Classroom
- Learn new digital literacy skills.
- Improve knowledge retention & understanding.
- Increase class participation and motivate students.
- Build community; connect students to each and the global community.
- Become an effective member of an online community.
For many, social media appears to have a range of benefits. It provides a way for many of us to connect with others. We can support other people and feel supported by them. It may even be a useful way for those with social anxiety and those who have a hard time with face-to-face interactions to connect with others.
Benefits of social media in education
First, social media provides a smoother, more direct communication tool between students, teachers and parents, who can check in and ask or respond to questions. Social media allows for more e-learning opportunities as well.
Here are five benefits of using social media:
- Build relationships. Social media is not just about brands connecting with their customers. …
- Share your expertise. Social media gives you an opportunity to talk about what you know and what you want to be known for. …
- Increase your visibility. …
- Educate yourself. …
- Connect anytime.
Too much passive use of social media – just browsing posts – can be unhealthy and has been linked to feelings of envy, inadequacy and less satisfaction with life. Studies have even suggested that it can lead to ADHD symptoms, depression, anxiety and sleep deprivation.
The risks you need to be aware of are:
- cyberbullying (bullying using digital technology)
- invasion of privacy.
- identity theft.
- your child seeing offensive images and messages.
- the presence of strangers who may be there to ‘groom’ other members.
The negative aspects of social media
However, multiple studies have found a strong link between heavy social media and an increased risk for depression, anxiety, loneliness, self-harm, and even suicidal thoughts. Social media may promote negative experiences such as: Inadequacy about your life or appearance.
Social Media has many positive effects on education including better communication, timely information, socializing online, learning, enhancing skills, making a career among others. But the same has some negative effects which include identity theft, cyber bullying, and social isolation.
What are the benefits of Facebook in education?
- Inviting atmosphere. …
- Students are comfortable with Facebook. …
- Informal. …
- Promotes collaboration. Facebook’s design promotes social interchange between participants, thereby increasing collaboration between students working on activities.
- Keeps schools current. …
- Students engaged outside of class.